Wednesday, December 9, 2009

It's going to be a long winter, unless...

We have had a terrific snowstorm here in Flagstaff: snow, wind, cold. I enjoyed the snow but am reverting back to my dislike of the bitter cold that comes after the snow. As a result I have been hunkered down inside, while my son has played and played and played outside during the two and a half snow days.
And there’s the rub. In order to get through the winter I need to be active outside, otherwise I will get cabin fever way too early. I took a short walk with my dog today and it was nice, but limited.
My super walker friend does not let snow stop her walks. She has walking poles and a sort of ice cleat on the bottom of her shoe to help her walk on icy streets. Once I called her while she was walking around our local Buffalo Park in snow over a foot deep. I could tell that it was hard work by her hard breathing. She also said that she had to plow through the snow. I could also tell she loved the challenge. Ummm, I was happy for her.
My husband loves downhill skiing. He actually gets a little low when the weather turns cold yet no snow arrives. He says it’s what gets him going in the winter. And I can tell that’s true. I have tried skiing and while it was fun, it is not for me.
I do enjoy cruising along on cross country skiis, on fairly level ground. And I have had fun on snowshoes. But I just don’t think snow activities are my type of thing. What do you do to get yourself through the grey of winter? Any ideas?

Bird bath during snow storm

Backyard after storm, see bird bath

top of St. Francis statue, statue must be a little over 2 feet tall, we had 22" of snow

No comments:

Post a Comment