Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Challenge update


How is the alternative transportation challenge going? So, so. I can't say I have eliminated all unnecessary car travel but I have reduced it. Here are some positive results from the challenge:
* I now walk or ride my bike to nearby events/ appointments/ shopping.
* Many days I avoid driving altogether.
* I am walking more than ever and feeling better for it.
* My son and I have made many carless trips to downtown Flagstaff.
I have far to go with my personal challenge, but I am enjoying the journey. One fun experience I had this past Sunday was a combination walk/ bus ride. My son and I started off by walking along the FUTS trail in Coconino Estates. What a treasure that trail is! Beautiful tree-lined, off-the-street walking/biking trail. We followed the FUTS to the downtown library and Sunday's Farmer's Market. Turns out the Route 66 celebration was also going on, so we picked up some melons, checked out some cool cars and then headed for the bus stop. We rode the Mountain Line bus back to the base of the hill near our home- very convenient bus stop. I now have no excuses for not riding the bus. This trip was in preparation for the upcoming Pedestrian Awareness Week. More on that later.
I am a little behind in getting the photo of the week posted. If you have any photos you would like to share, please email them to me. cleblanc46 at
gmail dot com. Family, I fixed the comment section, so you can now post your comments under "anonymous" without having to log in.

No comments:

Post a Comment