Monday, September 28, 2009

Is that fennel in your backpack?

I love the bounty of the fall season. I love going to the Farmer's Market on 4th and smelling the roasting chiles. Yum. I usually buy a quarter of a case (?) of the mild or medium chiles. Meanwhile, folks around me are buying cases of the hot chiles. I wonder what they do with them. I'd love to hang out in their kitchens.
This year I have finally been a regular visitor to the seasonal Farmer's Market, downtown. We have been walking or riding our bikes down to get the fresh melons, leeks, onions, and garlic. One week I purchased some fennel for a salad and put it in my backpack. We then headed over to the craft show going on in the nearby park. A woman saw a fennel frond peeking out and asked, "Is that fennel in your backpack?" Turns out she had been looking for the market but ended up at the craft show, thinking that was it. I was happy to point it out to her. By the way, the fennel salad was delicious.




Corn from our Flagstaff garden.





hubby roasting chiles and onions (and corn?)





Watermelon grown in our garden in Flagstaff. This started from a volunteer seed (we didn't plant it. It didn't quite finish but looks good, eh?





Yummy tomatoes and cucumbers from a friend's garden in Utah

No comments:

Post a Comment