Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Walking with Mom


One year ago, yesterday, my Mom passed away. I didn’t “save” the date or try to keep track of it but I knew it was somewhere in mid-July. Eventually I looked up the date. My Dad has also passed away so I am somewhat familiar with the stages of grief. I am familiar with the heaviness and the sadness. It doesn’t make it any easier, I just know what’s going on.
My Mom basically died from smoking. If she hadn’t smoked she probably would still be alive, bright and willful and walking. Despite having debilitating emphysema and osteoporosis she lived to be 84 years old.
I have mentioned my Mom’s walking before. She walked fast and strong. She had to get places to complete her business- she never got a driver’s license. Walking kept her in shape even after having six kids.
I feel a connection with my Mom when I walk- her strength in my stride. Thank you, Mom, for walking with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment