Friday, July 17, 2009

Why Walk?


Wow, it was hot today to begin with- for Flagstaff. At 8 am already the thermometer registered 82 degrees F. Still I am proud to say I walked my regular walk this morning. Yesterday my son and I rode our bikes downtown- no car driving. Hurray!
I have been thinking a lot about why it’s hard to get out of the car habit. Of course our infrastructure is typically built for cars, not pedestrians and bikes, so walking and biking requires more effort. Let me name the top reasons I have heard (including from myself) for not walking and biking: car travel is safer, quicker, convenient and more comfortable. Yoiks! How can that be topped?
How about this? Car travel is more stressful, polluting, gas guzzling, bad for the mid-section (not to mention rear) and non-sustainable. Or to try to keep positive: walking/ biking/ bus riding helps the environment, is relaxing, provides time for reflection, saves money, and is free exercise! I will go through the arguments one-by-one at later times but thought I would introduce them to you as my mind fights with them. Here’s another one: cars have air conditioning.

1 comment: