Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thursday's Challenge


I am trying something new this month. Something out of my comfort box and yet sounds fun to me... I have joined the National Novel Writing Month challenge. That means for the next 25 remaining days of November I will attempt to finish a novel. Rules include: the novel needs to be at least 50,000 words long (that works out to 1,667 words per day for November), you can't edit your writing in November- December is for editing, you can't repeat one word 50,000 times. I am a freelance non-fiction writer so why I am doing this? It's a challenge. It might help me break my fear of large word counts. It might nourish my creativity. And it sounds fun. I always use to say, "I would love to write a mystery novel, but I don't have any ideas." NaNoWriMo gives me the safety net to let my imagination soar (no inner critics allowed- that's the beauty of not allowing editing). Five days ago, I didn't have any ideas and yet today I have written close to 6,000 words.
So, today's challenge is to try something new, something fun, something positive, something you have wanted to do but didn't quite want to start. Maybe paint a picture, meditate for an hour, read Anna Karenina, anything.
What the heck does this have to do with walking? Not necessarily anything. But, I don't think I would have had the interest in doing this extra thing, this writing event that takes up my extra half hours here and there, if I hadn't been walking or being as physically active as I could be. So I am going to enjoy my writer's marathon. I hope you find something you enjoy as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment