Friday, August 14, 2009

Back to School


Yesterday was the first day of school for my sixth grade son. I always feel a little bit of sadness when school starts, even if I am ready for it- really ready for it. On the way to school this time, I couldn't help but reminisce on walking on the trail through the woods when my son was in kindergarten- six years ago. When we first started walking on the trail my son discovered a half-buried old wagon wheel near the base of a ponderosa pine tree. Really the outline of the wheel was all you could see but you could tell what it was. As the years passed, more soil washed away and more of the wheel became exposed. We enjoyed seeing part of the old west history as we headed to the school. Unfortunately, someone else noticed the wheel, soon after work was completed in the area, and the wheel was dug out, just scraps of wood were left. I picked up one of those scraps and wished I had taken a photo of the wheel to go along with it. But we still have our memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment