Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Wednesday's Walker!- Jack Welch


I am excited to start something new today- Wednesday’s Walker. I have asked a whole different assortment of people to respond to some questions about walking and I have already received some terrific responses- and all of them are different. I will be sharing these with you each Wednesday, along with other stories of walkers, as I collect more responses. If you would like to share your thoughts on walking, please contact me at my e mail account cleblanc46 at gmail dot com (only write it like you would an e mail account, I am trying to avoid getting spammed or whatevered). I would like to hear from folks from all over the country (and world!).

I am kicking off this series with Jack Welch, Flagstaff’s walking/bicycling/ etc. advocate. I am sure I first met him at one of his events, ages ago. But I do know I worked with him to try to get a trail through the woods, down to the elementary school, from near where I live. And now that trail exists, thanks mainly to him- I just attended a meeting here and there. He writes a terrific column, Flagstaff Trailheads, in our local paper and advocates for trails, bikes and pedestrians.

Name: Jack Welch – e mail address: ADILLLO at aol dot com (he sends out a wonderful update on walking and other events in Flagstaff, Arizona)

How do I know you?
I know Cecile because we have been on different committees together and have participated in outdoor activities. Currently we both are on the Pedestrian Advisory Committee which is a part of the City Transportation Commission.

What do you do? What keeps you busy? What is your passion?
I am interested in local trails. The FUTS, Flagstaff Loop Trail, County Trails, Arizona Trail and Forest Service Trails. I am also involved with the Friends of the Rio de Flag. Our goal is to promote the route of the Rio de Flag through Flagstaff as a Greenbelt. I also am on the board for Flagstaffbiking dot org. Our goal is the promotion of bicycle use. As a member of the Pedestrian Advisory Committee I am interested in promoting
the walk mode as a viable means of transportation.

Fill in the blank. I walk because ….
I walk because it’s a good and easy way to maintain my general health and I like being outdoors in this wonderful and great place in which we live.

What do you do when you walk?
I like to organize my thoughts while walking or if I'm involved in a scheduled walk I like to converse with the other participants. Never know what you will learn from just the most casual of conversations.

What do you like about walking?
I like walking because it's such an easy way to exercise and see what's going on around the community. Also, it keeps me out in the weather - bad or good - it's great to be that close to the natural ways of our great outdoors. I also like to look at the mountains. Never the same thing twice.

Special places or things I have found while walking. A wetland in the Rio de Flag waterway near Harold Ranch Road. An overlook of Lake Mary on Anderson Mesa while walking the Arizona Trail near the NPOI. The remains of a brick kiln found in the Rio de Flag just east of the pond behind Sam's. The unusual sight of 5 doe elk running with 4 fawns at Picture Canyon. So many, perhaps I should write a book!

Favorite Walk: Sinclair Wash FUTS behind Willow Bend. Picture Canyon trails. Arizona Trail from Snowbowl Road to Bismarck Lake. Loop Trail from John Wesley Powell to Fisher Point Trail. Pumphouse Wash. Maybe I should write another book!

Any tips to get people walking?
To get people to walk I tell them their front or back door is a trailhead and no matter which exit they choose it will always lead to something or someplace interesting. Destination walking is the most fun. Even a simple out and back route provides two different views of the same things.

No comments:

Post a Comment