Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Trees, trees and more trees, beyond the ponderosa

I was sitting in a parking lot (okay, I wasn't walking, but I could have been...) waiting for my son to finish basketball practice and I started to notice all of the shapes of the different deciduous trees, the ones that lose their leaves.

I noticed the aspen keep branching ever smaller giving them a busy but graceful look.

I saw some elms, Siberian I think, and for once I noticed their beauty with some arching crowns.

Over in some nearby backyards tall poplars soared up past roof lines.

Two "weeping"-type trees stood near each other. I don't know what they were. I think one is a river birch because our neighbor has one like it and that is what she called it- that would be the white-barked one with the reddish tint to the outer branches. The dark-barked one with green spring-growth- I don't know.


Here in Flagstaff we are known more for our pine trees (Ponderosa) than other trees so it was fun to see all of these other trees. Early spring growth brought out some fresh color. I guess I had never just sat in one place looking at trees like this before.

2 comments:

  1. This was nice to read. Trees are so beautiful through all the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Denise, I agree. And thanks for all of your comments!
    Cecile

    ReplyDelete