Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Be Aware, Be Educated, Proceed with Care

Recently legislation has been introduced in a couple of states to make it illegal for pedestrians and bicyclists to wear headphones, talk on cell phones and otherwise be distracted. The supporters of this legislation cite numbers that pedestrian fatalities have increased for the first time in four years. Arizona and Florida are topping the list of an increase in pedestrian fatalities (California tops the list overall). The Governors Highway Safety Association 2010 Preliminary Data Pedestrian Fatalities by State reads, “Both drivers and pedestrians are increasingly distracted by cell phones and other portable electronic devices. Several states noted crash reports or anecdotal evidence of crashes in which distraction was a factor, …but accurate data on the role of distraction are not available.”

Unfortunately, with cars, a mistake on either the pedestrian’s or driver’s part will always hurt the pedestrian most. And I try to remember that when I am walking. I try to be positive in this blog and was even going to make light of this legislation. Someone in the New York Times article

even said that at some point we have to let people be responsible for their own actions. I am easily distracted, I wanted to discuss here, and I don’t need a cell phone or music to distract me. I was walking in New York City once and was amazed by all of the buildings. I kept looking up and despite the best efforts of my friends; I walked straight into a woman who was desperately trying to avoid me. Thankfully she was relatively kind. But that was on a sidewalk, away from cars.

Here in Flagstaff I have almost been hit by cars twice. Both times the drivers were trying to beat the traffic. I had followed all of the traffic and pedestrian rules, look all ways, cross in a cross walk with the “walking” signal on. The rule that should have followed was “be aware of traffic breaks.” Neither driver saw me until they slammed on their brakes: one was crossing a busy road from a stop sign and took advantage of a short break in the traffic, the other was turning left on a busy road also taking advantage of a short break in traffic- I don’t think she even paused as she swerved left. Regardless of how “correct” my actions were, both instances could have resulted in me having broken legs or worse.

“A focus on liveable communities, or “get moving” health and fitness programs may increase walking and pedestrian-vehicle conflicts, as noted by Florida, Indiana, New Mexico, New York, Oregon and Texas. If pedestrians or motorists are distracted, the potential for crashes increases.” This is a call for greater education. We, in the pedestrian/bicycling community always hope that the more us that are out there the more careful and aware drivers will become. And maybe that is happening. The report does not have any definite conclusions or research to back up any of its statements- all of it is anecdotal. (One sad anecdote reports a driver speeding past stopped cars only to hit a child crossing the road.)

I don’t know that fining pedestrians and bicyclists for listening to music or talking on a cell phone is quite the answer. What do you think?

I think pedestrians need to remember that we always need to be on the defense, going above and beyond the lessons taught by our parents. (This has been a lifelong lesson for me and more than once I have been saved by an awesome driver. Thank you!) And for drivers and pedestrians, we all need to be aware, be educated and proceed with care.

Oh, and by the way, the City of Flagstaff is working hard to make this city safer for bicyclists and pedestrians. Yeah!

Sharing the Road with Pedestrians, ADOT 2008 helpful tips for pedestrians and drivers

No comments:

Post a Comment