Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wednesday's Walker- Denise

Denise is my very active sister. Retirement hasn't slowed her down, just changed what she does. She is another one in the family responsible for bringing out the games after the meals are over. Can we say "Bananas?"

What do you do? What keeps you busy? What is your passion?
I'm a retired Kindergarten teacher. Life and family keeps me busy. Nature is my passion, so working in the garden and going for walks does it for me.

I walk because ...
If I don't walk, I lose the ability to walk. I have had MS for 35 years and I have to keep my muscles working.

What do you do when you walk?
I have to watch where I put my feet, so that I don't trip. But it helps me see the little things in nature: leaf patterns and colors, animal and bird tracks in the soil, (Oregon always has some wet soil along the trail or road). I enjoy the scents and the breezes. I try to go up hills, since I can't do long distances. My mind wanders as well.

What do you like about walking?
Walking gets me outside in nature. If walking in the neighborhood, I usually come upon someone I know, working in their yard or walking their dog. It's nice to see others. I don't like to see the coyotes walking the same route!

Describe a walk where you found something special or something that made you happy or something surprising .
I was walking along the Metolious River (near Sister's Oregon) with my husband, when we came upon a mother Merganser and her 11 babies. They were perched on a log in the water. But every now and then, a duckling would slip into the water, paddle around and climb back up. It was a fine day for sunning.

What is your favorite walk?
One of our favorite walks is a bike path along the Willamette River from Willamette Park to Downtown Portland. But our neighborhood walk along the Willamette River to George Roger's Park is wonderful. We can see the river, fishermen in their boats, lots of trees, hawks and sometimes seals, heading for the Oregon City Falls.

Any tips to get people walking?
use guilt; a reward halfway, like a view of something wonderful or Starbucks coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment