Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Passions, walking with burros


Welcome to Oatman, got carrots?
I have read a few sources that say to remember what you are passionate about go back to what you liked in fourth grade. I have found myself trying to remember what I liked back then and all I get are fuzzy generalities. I liked being outside. I liked to draw. I liked animals. I liked looking at the stars. I am not going to come up with some great breakthrough story- oh I spent hours working on such-and-such as a kid, it’s no wonder I am still doing it today. But, sometimes those generalities really hit home as my passions, and it’s no surprise. Take my experience last week.

Last week was spring break. We went to Lake Mojave for a camping trip. The weather was beautiful (I write, frowning at the new seven inches of snow on the ground out the window), in the low 80s. A mild breeze kept things cool. We brought our canoe and kayak so we could go on day trips on the water. Very lovely.


The story of Oatman

One afternoon we took a trip to the old ghost town of Oatman, Arizona. The town has actually become a tourist trap, buses and all. The draw isn’t the just the old buildings, now souvenir shops, but the multitude of burros that wander the street. I kept telling myself that the chances of us seeing a burro would be small. Wrongo.

Frisky baby with protective mom
As we walked from our parked car toward the public restroom a baby burro (a foal?) came kicking and running towards us and the other people standing around. The mother was close behind. I, a very mature woman, was instantly transformed back into my young self- a kid with a bag of carrots intent on taking photos of the burros and petting all of them if at all possible.

Another baby, waiting for mom
Gone from my concern were my barking dog, my son and my husband. Fortunately, my husband had Pip behind the fence because the mom burro was intent on protecting her young and made to kick barking, whining Pip. I think I managed to squeak out questions of: did my husband and/or son need anything? Carrots? My son took a few but gave them back after awhile and they, plus Pip, headed off to do some shopping/sightseeing.

Yet another baby, with sticker
The baby burros had stickers on their foreheads asking people not to feed them and in general leave them alone. The adults on the other hand were use to being fed and in some cases very pushy. At one point I had four burros surrounding me and my quickly diminishing bags of carrots. I was in heaven. I am sure I had a silly grin on my face as one of the burros followed me and my purse down the street. I know I forgot to look both ways for cars, I was happily standing in the middle of the street. I did share the carrots with my son, but it was hard.

More carrots please...
So I confirmed one passion: Animals. But I think I already knew that.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! How can people not like these burros?! What a fun time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. They are the big hit!

    ReplyDelete