Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wednesday's Walker

My blurry photo on way to Park City to visit with Elise and the girls
I met my friend Elise fairly soon after we moved to Utah. She helped me find work in the field of wildlife biology. She is a very active person, biking and hiking, and has had a rough year with injuries. Her latest injury was the result of an interaction with an angry mama moose. Apparently, Elise was returning from a hike and heading down a fairly narrow canyon when she was confronted by the moose. Elise dove out of the way (sorry if I am getting this wrong), thankfully behind a a big tree, but in the process tore her ACL. She found out from another hiker that the moose cow had a calf in the area. And, yes, Elise is recuperating nicely.

What do you do? I’m a wildlife biologist but now I’m a manager more than anything.
What keeps you busy? Unfortunately work, but when not working I love to do just about anything outdoors and travel.

I walk because …. It makes me feel good and it gives me time to myself.

What do you do when you walk?  I have conversations in my head about issues of the day or plan out my future. Sometimes I listen to audiobooks.

What do you like about walking? I like it because it makes me feel good, it’s functional – transportation, and its relaxing.

Describe a walk where you found something special or something that made you happy or something surprising ? This one is stumping me. When I walk it always makes me happy when I see wildlife.

What is your favorite walk? I have too many to pick one! I have different “favorite” walks for different seasons and different locations- desert, mountains and cities.

Any tips to get people walking?  Just do it – I’ve never regretted a walk – ok, maybe the one where I got attacked by a moose, but that’s it…..

No comments:

Post a Comment