Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wednesday's Walker- Janine

Girl's weekend in NYC. mmm, yummy. :)
This is from my good friend, Janine, who dared to move out-of-state. She apparently now lives on a green belt which makes for nice walking, I always picture their family walking along a busy walk-way visiting with neighbors while their boys zoom up and down on bikes and skateboards. Fun stuff.

What do you do? What keeps you busy? What is your passion? I'm a mom of 2 boys (12 and 8) and I work 2, flexible part-time jobs so that I can fit my hours into the school day. I guess you could say that my kids are my passion. I also am involved in a few volunteer commitments, one of which I'm starting to regret right about now. (: So, between work, homework, after school activities, laundry, cooking... I haven't found a lot of time to walk. Exercise is the first thing to go for me. Looking at my hands as I type I realize that I haven't even found time to file my nails!

I walk because … It makes me feel good physically - I have more energy. But more immediately, it clears my head, makes me feel peaceful, gets me outside and forces me to realize that there is still a world out there that is accessible to me outside of my nutty schedule, lets me indulge my own thoughts for a while.

What do you do when you walk?  I try to walk at a pace that pushes my muscles. A walk feels successful to me if they are twitching a little at the end. I focus on taking in my surroundings. Listening for birds, watching the ducks in the canal, checking out the passersby. Then, if a thought creeps in after my head has cleared that I want to roll around in my brain for a while, I enjoy the uninterrupted ability to follow it from beginning to end.

What do you like about walking? The only thing I would add to what I wrote above is that it is usually my only chance for solitude - to re-juice.

Describe a walk where you found something special or something that made you happy or something surprising ? Hmmm, dunnoh.
What is your favorite walk?  I most frequently walk on the race (a path beside an old canal in our town). It is by our house (convenient) and runs along the woods, a park, empties into a lake at one end and the farmer's market at the other. It's pleasant and easy. I also like the woods in a protected area 10 or so minutes away that has paths that take you around fields and along streams. There are tons of birds and I find I enjoy discovering them in my older age. (:

Any tips to get people walking?  Just start. It's hard to just get started, but once you do you will be quickly rewarded with how you feel physically and emotionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment