Friday, October 30, 2009

No Impact Challenge


If you couldn’t tell from my posts earlier this week, I was taken aback by Americans’ attitudes towards climate change. I am not a “sky is falling” kind of person, really. But I do think change is happening, human-caused change, and we need to change our behavior in order to continue enjoying life on this planet the way we do now. It seems to me that much of the problem can be summed up with one word: overconsumption. You can attribute that to overpopulation and/or to a certain portion of the population consuming too much of the Earth’s resources.
I don’t think it’s too late to change our behavior to effect a change- if everyone is doing it. So this week’s challenge is to find five more ways to change your behavior- small or large- that will decrease your impact on Earth. By the way, one of the main reasons I started this blog was to promote walking as an alternative form of transportation. It’s not as sexy as bicycling but it’s cheap and is a stress reliever.
Check out these blogs for ideas:
Vamosverde's Weblog: My friend, Shannon, has some practical everyday ideas on how to reduce your impact.
Fake Plastic Fish: Beth has championed the cause of reducing plastic in our lives and also has a whole bunch of other interesting and useful blogs listed
Polka Spot Farm: I am new to this blog but it has a list of simple living blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment