Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tree Parable


When we were walking to school yesterday, my son and I came across a fairly big tree that had fallen across the trail. We had a very windy weekend so it’s not surprising that a weak dead tree had fallen. We climbed over the tree while trying to avoid the numerous limbs sticking up here and there. The tree was too big and long too move from the trail. Someone was going to need to cut it.
In this forest there are a lot of dead standing trees, snags. I think a lot of these trees were killed during a recent beetle infestation. But I tend to not worry about these trees falling down. Maybe I should be a little more vigilant?
In another part of the woods there is this dead tree that has been leaning against these other trees since last winter. I give this tree a wide berth because certainly it is going to fall at any moment. The two live trees are the only support for this already collapsed tree. But this tree is facing away from the trail. I always assume that when it falls there will be a lot of debris shooting everywhere. I don’t want to be around. That is a known danger.
As usual, my mind wanders during walks and I thought, maybe I could make a parable out of this situation, or maybe there is one?
How about this: Don’t overlook hidden dangers while avoiding known dangers.

2 comments:

  1. True i completely agree with you about hidden dangers.
    Mats Lundkvist
    http://budurl/3vgb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I like the "Hiking Lover" blog- good tips.
    Cecile

    ReplyDelete