Tuesday, October 27, 2009

What should we do?


I was surprised to read that fewer Americans believe that global temperatures are rising. Representatives from 170 countries are about to meet in Copenhagen to discuss this global problem. The vast majority of scientists, especially earth scientists and climatologists, agree that earth’s temperatures have been rising and that human activity is responsible for it. I hear from ecologists, on listservs, the dire need to get the word out that change is happening to habitats around the world and that we are getting to the point where we won’t be able to turn back.
I understand how people have huge concerns in this difficult economy. They are going to worry about getting a job rather than getting to a job in a green way. Or they will worry about putting any food on the table rather than buying locally grown food vs. food shipped from China. I get that. Heck, I am not going to question the plastic content of the container if someone offers me a drink when I am thirsty.
So what can we do? How do we get the word out that change is happening in this world? Habitats are being lost, species are becoming extinct by the minute- all because of overconsumption by humans. Are we okay with that? I’m not. I am pretty happy sitting here knowing that across the world is some amazing creature living out its life, safely, in some jungle, savanna, tundra or ?
Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment