Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Cold Walk's Reward

Beautiful Sunrise on a bitter cold morning
One day last week I decided to resume morning walks at a local park here in Flagstaff, Arizona. My plan was, get son to school 7 a.m., go for two mile walk, get back before 8 a.m. to start the working day. So that’s what I did.

Two “problems.” The sun is rising here around 7:31 am and the temperature for that morning was around 10 degrees F (I know that is balmy for you up north, but still…).

I started around the path and realized it was going to be a cold walk- really cold. I thought I had dressed for the weather. Hat, gloves, muffler, multiple layers of shirts- all good. Bare face, denim jeans on legs- bad.

Pip on the cold, cold trail
I started jog-walking to make the walk go faster. That is saying a lot from someone WHO DOES NOT RUN. I actually wasn’t running, but getting pretty close to it.

I saw a person at an exercise stop ahead of me. It looked like they were doing yoga. As I got up closer I could see that they were also throwing a Frisbee for their dog. The sun hadn’t risen yet. I was shaking my head, thinking “die hards, these folks are.” As I approached the person I realized that I knew her. Unfortunately, I was too cold to stop and chat and ask, why the heck are you out here doing yoga at o’dark thirty while it’s colder than cold. I just smiled, said “hello” and trotted on by.

By now the sun started rising and it is beautiful. I stopped to take some photos. A runner went by and I managed a “hello” and “it’s colder than I thought it would be.” He smiled and said, “but isn’t it beautiful.” I couldn’t have agreed more. The sunrise was worth the bitter cold.
Pip with iced whiskers
The rest of the walk was uneventful and even seemed to warm up a little, either from moving, the sun or the shelter of the trees.

I went back there today and it was a lot warmer, 27 degrees F, and I didn’t see my friend doing yoga and for some reason the sunrise, while pretty, wasn’t nearly as beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment