Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Wednesday's Walker- Sandy LoStracco





Sandy LoStracco writes, I got to know Cecile "many moons ago when our sons were little tiny babies together." That was about twelve years ago, when we first moved to Flagstaff. Our sons were in the same playgroup and in the same library story time group. I have a mental memory of her son, another friend's baby- Elliot, and my son all crawling out of the story room together- a herd of babies.

What do you do? What keeps you busy? What is your passion?
My primary job is taking care of my family. Teaching and encouraging them to lead healthy lives, spiritually, mentally, and physically. My passion is showing under-privileged kids that someone cares about them and is always willing to help them when they need it. As I teach my own kids, they are in charge of their own destinies and with determination they can do anything and go anywhere regardless of where they are starting out.

Fill in the blank. I walk because …. it provides me mental and physical health. I have maintained a 20 lb. weight loss for a year just by taking a daily walk and that sure feels good. And if you feel good, you look good, which makes you feel good!

What do you do when you walk?
I do different things. Sometimes I listen to upbeat music (new and from years past!), sometimes I just like to hear nature. Sometimes I plan something fun or exciting to look forward to, and sometimes I come up with a solution to a problem that is bugging me. It's funny how clear things are when you contemplate them outdoors.

What do you like about walking?
I like the feeling of going somewhere. Covering ground. Even if it's just in a circle! I feel productive and it erases the feeling of guilt that I may have conjured up the day before by eating donuts and pizza!

Describe a walk where you found something special or something that made you happy or something surprising.
I was walking with a friend out in the National Forest one spring day and as we followed the trail around a bend, we both stopped short at a magnificent sight. Laying on a hillside, were millions of dark purple/blue flowers. We both commented on how amazing Mother Nature is to produce such a vibrant color. As we continued walking, my own thoughts were not so much about the flowers themselves, but how profound our reactions to them were.

What is your favorite walk?
The ones that I go on right out my back door. No driving involved.

Any tips to get people walking?
Set aside 20 - 30 minutes per day for a walk. It doesn't have to be a big sweaty workout. Sometimes I walk wearing nice clothes just before I head out for the day.


The photos are mine, not Sandy's, I don't think these are the same blue flowers but still pretty- my photos don't do them justice. These are spiderworts and they bloom towards the end of our monsoon season.

2 comments:

  1. Sandy's story was great. I enjoyed her thoughtfulness and sense of purpose. I can imagine the blue flowers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Thanks, sis! I hope you are having a great day. It's grey here today.
    :)
    Cecile

    ReplyDelete