Friday, June 19, 2009

Declaration


A long time ago a friend started a discussion about passion. What are you passionate about? What feeds your soul? Drives your life? Hmmm… That was a toughie. I like a lot of things, very much. I even love them. But to feel passionate about something (beyond family), I had to think about that.
I think I found the answer all these many years later- nature. So much of what I get pleasure from- walking, taking outdoor photographs, travel, wildlife and bird watching, flowers- is based on nature. And so much of what I try to improve on- drive less, walk more, less plastic, buy locally, etc.- is an attempt to save nature.
I remember liking Henry Gibson’s “Declaration of Dependence” when I was a kid. This “poem” was on a 1970’s era poster in one of my sibling’s rooms. When they moved out I took it and put it up on my door. I recently found the poem on the web: “I am a part of Nature. I am a part of everything that lives. I am bound together with all living things in air, in land, in water...” That’s just part of it. I use to say it like you say the Pledge of Allegiance, everyday.
“As a member of the human race I am responsible for its survival. I am a part of Nature. I will not destroy it.”
Here is a story, from the New York Times, about the amazing diversity of life on this planet- makes me laugh too: tree shrew

No comments:

Post a Comment