Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Walking Flagstaff

I have often wondered if I could make it in Flagstaff without a car with my current lifestyle- mom with son. I have reason to wonder. I have a mild seizure disorder that was diagnosed with a grand mal seizure over 10 years ago. When I had the seizure my driver’s license was taken away for several months. I rode the bus to work or rode with my husband. I really had no transportation problems. My seizure activity is minimal or non-existent right now, but I sometimes wonder how I would get around without a car.

Just out of curiosity, I checked walking mileage for a couple of Flagstaff locations on “Google maps.” To go from the Flagstaff Medical Center to Target is 2.3 miles or 44 minutes. From Target to the Flagstaff Mall is six miles, or about 2 hours walking. Of course, I could always ride the bus or ride a bike. But what is a reasonable walking distance?

Our fast-paced society has changed our attitudes towards how we spend our time (time is money?) so while one mile should be no problem, it translates to 20 minutes walking versus five to ten minutes in the car. Also many United States towns are car-dependent, they really aren’t built for pedestrians: sidewalks are missing, crosswalks are non-existent, traffic whizzes by at scary speeds, etc. (People are working to make Flagstaff more pedestrian friendly. See FUTS trails, improved crosswalks, timed crossings, etc.)

But since it’s one of my goals, what will it take for me to forego the car and take to my legs, bike wheels and bus? Convenience has been the big winner so far.

I think a challenge is in order. Stay tuned for details…

No comments:

Post a Comment