Monday, June 1, 2009

Walking to School




I have walked my Son to and from school since he was in kindergarten- he is now finishing fifth grade. I can’t say it was everyday and some years I was working full-time so I walked even less, but I made many of the walks. It’s easy for us to walk. According to my pedometer the distance is about half a mile to the school. And we get to walk through the forest.

We have seen deer, elk, foxes, squirrels. One year we got to see twin fawns. We have also enjoyed seeing tracks of wildlife in fresh snow. One day it looked like the deer were heading to school. Their tracks led us right through the school gate.

We are very lucky to be able to walk here. When we first started we would walk along a rough trail. A lot of times we were the only walkers heading to school on this trail. Two other families might join us. The amazing thing about these families is that they were second generation walkers. The kid’s moms went to the school and walked through this forest to get to school. Other walkers came and went. And then the trail was constructed. This trail bisects the forest and makes it easier to go downhill. Now there are four families that use the path regularly and three to four that use it off and on. It’s wonderful to see the younger kids explore the rocks and stop to pick up sticks.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I wish we had a walkable route to the kids' school, but our route would include a fairly busy street. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Cecile! I look forward to following your blog, and I love the topic and trail info. When I go on vacation, I love to pick a place where walking is the main event, the main way to travel - where you don't have to use your vehicle (favorites include Telluride, Wash DC, San Francisco). We also walk to school every day and have lately tried to include a litter clean-up once a week on that walk.

    Go, Cecile!

    ReplyDelete