Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Learning Flagstaff


It’s funny. I have been trying to reach my 10,000 steps/ day goal, in earnest, each day since last Friday. And it hasn’t been easy. I am not saying that there aren’t enough trails in town or not enough places to walk. There are plenty. But the way I have been doing it hasn’t worked. I have been starting with a loop or walk in mind, say “walk to the Museum of Northern Arizona” or “deliver book to friend.”

Turns out the museum, that always seemed so far away, is actually only about 1.5 miles away, or less. So, a there and back (and a walk through the super cool Rio de Flag Trail they have) leaves me short on my goal. But I now know we should walk or ride our bikes to the museum.

Yesterday, I “ran an errand” by walking it instead (brought a book to a friend). I got to her house, her far, far away house, looked at my pedometer and sighed- less than a mile. She gave me a tip to get back home that would take longer- that took about a mile. Sigh, again.

I look at this as a good news/ bad news kind of lesson. Bad news: things are not as far away as they seemed, I will need to go beyond what I had originally thought to get my distance. Good news: I can walk, easily, to a lot of different places!

No comments:

Post a Comment