Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What's happening here?


I sometimes fantasize about living in one of those sunny Mediterranean towns. One with roads too narrow for cars but it doesn’t matter because everything is within walking distance. In the daydream, I stroll down to the market to pick up fresh bread and produce and cook a scrumptious dinner for friends and family. Sigh.
Now before I pack up and leave (only in my dreams) I have to realize that Flagstaff isn’t so bad. A lot of people are working hard to make this town more pedestrian/bicycle friendly- think of the FUTS trails, Bike-to-Work Week, Pedestrian Awareness Week, etc. We have a big group of people making locally grown food more accessible- the weekly Farmer’s Markets and the various CSA’s (community supported agriculture). Last week I was at a meeting and saw this cool video on New Urbanism.
Tons of exciting stuff going on.
If you are interested in what the city is doing check out these sites and get involved:
Regional plan 2012
Zoning code update

No comments:

Post a Comment