Monday, June 22, 2009

Fundraisers- Climb to Conquer Cancer


I remember in grade school going on 20 mile walks to benefit the March of Dimes. These walks were a big deal and we looked forward to the challenge. I remember the first year I was able to go on the walk one of my co-walkers had an asthma attack near my house. It was about 2 miles away from the end of the walk and I was so disappointed not to continue, but everyone was ready to stop. Except me and I wasn’t allowed to walk alone. Later years I made it thru the entire way- not sure if it was once or twice. I remember holding on to a transistor radio so we could listen to some tunes as we walked along. I also remember the ending with cheering crowds.
I am sure the 20 mile walk was a logistical nightmare for organizers and a danger for grade schoolers walking on their own- but, wow, 20 miles.
The idea of the fundraisers is to get people outside, get them active, raise funds and to raise awareness about the issue. If you need any motivation to get out of your chair look for one of these fundraisers- something that touches your heart or your life- and sign up. The annual Climb to Conquer Cancer is coming up and is always a fun walk up to Snowbowl (click here to register).

No comments:

Post a Comment